DIY Home Improvement Ideas and Hacks
If your home is in need of a makeover, it doesn’t have to be hard work. Check out these simple but effective DIY home improvement ideas and hacks to transform your living space.
Home improvement hacks to make your life easier
You don’t always need to put in lots of time and effort to achieve great results. With a bit of know-how, you can achieve a beautiful interior without breaking a sweat.
Bring out the Velcro
Want to hang up a picture but can’t drill into the wall? Use strong, sticky-backed Velcro instead. Just stick one strip to the wall and the other to the back of your frame, and Bob’s your uncle.
Save time on cleaning up
The worst part of any DIY job is the clean up afterwards. So, don’t do it! Here’s how:
- Attach a paint lid to the handle of your paintbrush in order to catch any drips. Just cut a hole to size and save on the paint splashes.
- Stick a Post-It note to the wall under the hole you’re drilling, fold it upwards and voila – you’ll catch all the dust and debris when you drill the hole, so there’s no need to get out the hoover.
Remove broken screws with a balloon
We’ve all been there. A screw that’s cross-head has been ‘stripped’ is almost impossible to remove, because there’s nothing for your screwdriver to grab onto. But there’s a simple hack that will have it out in no time. Just place an ordinary balloon over the screw, and it’ll give your screwdriver enough friction to get some purchase and force it out.
Home improvement ideas and inspiration
Looking for original and exciting ways to refresh your interior? Try these!
Create an ombre feature wall
Ombre – the shadowy colour effect where one shade gradually fades into another – has been popular for some time now, in everything from home furnishings to hairstyles. An ombre paint effect is surprisingly easy to create, so stock up on sponges and give your wall the wow-factor.
View this post on Instagram
Breathe new life into old items
Upcycling is a super satisfying way to create something new and original. And the good news is, you don’t have to invest in expensive equipment
- Use ladders to create innovative and practical clothes hangers.
- Have a few old pallets to spare? Build a stylish outdoor coffee table for your garden or patio.
- Want to upgrade your flatpack furniture? Transform cheap Ikea furniture with the addition of a fresh coat of paint and an antique accessory.
- Always wanted a kitchen island but can’t afford to renovate? Repurpose an old dresser and give your cooking space a vintage feel.
Get creative with stair paint
Have you ever considered what a striking feature your staircase could be transformed into? By painting your stairs instead of covering them with carpet, you can create a focal point that really draws the eye. Be bold with bright colours and patterns or go for a restrained wood stain to complement your interior.
Save space with sliding barn doors
Barn doors are a trend that’s been popular for a few years now. If you have a part of your home that you need to separate, such as a cupboard or pantry, sliding barn doors are a great way to save space and create visual interest. And the good news is, they’re an easy DIY project.
View this post on Instagram